I wonder what your answer to that statement would be. Regardless of the dictionary definition confidence can mean different things to each of us. Sometimes people confuse it with self-esteem or self-worth, and whilst it is part of it, confidence is very much about ‘doing’ whereas, esteem is about ‘being’. People of all persuasions have a crisis of confidence at some point in their lives. So enjoy the following tips and let them help you regain your confidence.
My Top 10 Tips
1. Always start with one area of your life that you’d like to be more confident in; you can add another one soon, i.e. Career, Health, Relationship, however for now, just focus on one area.
2. Write a clear and specific goal as clarity makes it easier to take the first steps towards acting confident. Think SMART when writing your goal, specific, measurable, achievable, measurable, timed.
3. Write your SMART confidence goal down.
4. Clarifying what this means to you is very important, take 10 minutes and do that now! People make the mistake of talking generally about confidence, if you don’t get clear about what it is and what it means to you, you just may never get the confidence you desire. So ask yourself: How important is this goal to me? Why do I want it?
5. Now you have an area and you know what it means to you, write a list of things you want to be confident in or able to do, i.e. if you choose your career or business you may say ‘I want to be confident to speak to 3 new people at the next networking event and ask for their business’ or ‘I’d like to confidently deliver a 30 minute presentation to my team in 10 days’ time.’ Whatever it is you want get clear about it. Then be specific and Always include a date, never be general.
6. Create and build confidence where anything becomes possible by writing your goals using the words ‘I am’. ‘I am’ is part of your identity. Make sure you write them as if you are already confident. If you haven’t done this, do it now.
7. Say them out loud! Over time they will become easier to believe. It’s important to practice often though. Start today.
8. Get clear about what you want!!! This is essential. Then write down the steps you need to take to get you from where you are today to where you want to be in the future. These steps are called journey goals.
9. Itemise and date each step. Deal with each step one at a time. Do it now!
10. Get involved in the journey towards your goal rather than focusing just on the end result. This keeps you awake and aware of where you currently are, what still needs to be done, what you have done and what you can do in the moment. The reward is in the success of the moment.
What are some of your top tips for confidence boost? Share them with us in the comments below.
The Coaching Academy was established in 1999, and is now the world's largest coaching school.
In that time we have trained over 14,000 people to become life coaches.
We are accredited by the International Coach Federation and the Association for Coaching, and we're rated 4.8 out of 5 on Trustpilot.
Nature is instrumental for our wellbeing, and people report feeling significantly happier outdoors than they do indoors. Despite this, we are spending less and less time in nature and it is playing a smaller role in our cultural landscape.
Sharing someone's moment of success, when their hard work, sacrifice, commitment and single-mindedness have brought them the ultimate reward is, for me, quite emotional. When I witness an athlete's podium moment I feel humble, and inspired to be the best I can be - in whatever I do.